Operating a forklift machine is a relatively dangerous job. A forklift is a large, powerful industrial truck used to move and store materials safely and efficiently. That is why it is important for employers to provide their employees with the appropriate equipment and proper forklift operator training.
TRAINING ENQUIRY FORM
The training courses available include:
- Novice (Beginner)
- Refresher (Renewing a previously obtained license)
- Experienced Operative (Some use with no previous formal training)
- Conversion ( Hold certificate/licence and wish to convert to another machine type. For example, converting from a counterbalance to a reach forklift truck)
As an employer you have a general duty under section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to provide information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure the health and safety of your employees. Under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 employers are required to ‘ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken’. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also place duties on employers to provide training. By not providing your employee with any training at all, you could be breaking the law. Rider-operated lift trucks includes the requirements for basic lift-truck training.
HSE strongly recommends that refresher training is to be undertaken every 3-5 years, but this will depend on the specific circumstances of particular operators.
Refresher training or retesting might also be appropriate where operators:
1) Have not used fork lift trucks for some time.
2) Are occasional users.
3) Appear to have developed unsafe working practices.
4) Competence or safety performance gives cause for concern.
5) Have had an incident, accident or near miss.
6) Have changed their working practices or environment.
7) Variant of fork lift truck or handling attachment is significantly changed.
Forklift truck drivers MUST receive adequate training for each truck type they use. There may also be certain restrictions on the certificate for the truck type they have been trained on. For example maximum rated capacity or lift height.
Training is available throughout the UK.
Please note that training is subject to demand and availability.